Chicago’s Office of Inspector General (OIG) is a watchdog for the taxpayers of the City of Chicago, and it has jurisdiction to conduct independent inquiries into most aspects of City government. The mission of OIG is to promote economy, effectiveness, efficiency, and integrity in City government by rooting out corruption, waste, and mismanagement. OIG is organized into five operational units, three mission units—Investigations, Audit and Program Review, and Hiring Oversight—and two support units—Legal and Operations.
OIG is seeking two Unpaid Information Technology (IT) Interns to work in its Center for Information Technology and Analytics (CITA). The CITA team is responsible for delivering two core support functions: information systems management (ISM) and data analytics. The ISM CITA team members are responsible for the development, accuracy, reliability, and comprehensiveness of the office’s technology platform to include its hardware, network, databases, applications, and help desk.
This internship offers the experience of developing foundational knowledge of network management, network security monitoring, server maintenance, and help desk support with hands-on experience with tools/technologies like Dell Enterpriser servers, helpdesk management software, NetBackup, NetWorker, VMware, Data Domain, Dell Storage Array, AirWatch, Remote Desktop, and Security Information and Event Management (SIEM) System. The IT interns’ assignments will vary but include working closely with ISM CITA team members on computer imaging process, preventative maintenance, inventory updates, and hardware and software upgrades.
NOTE: APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED BY THE INDIVIDUAL APPLYING. NO SECOND PARTY APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED. THE OFFICE OF INSPECTOR GENERAL REQUIRES THAT ITS EMPLOYEES BE NONPARTISAN AND FREE FROM CONFLICTS OF INTEREST.
ANNUAL SALARY: Unpaid Intern
- Must be a current college senior or graduate student majoring in information technology, computer science, or computer engineering at an accredited four-year college or university.
- Must have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 grading scale or a 4.0 on a 5.0 grading scale.
Knowledge, Skills, Ability and Experience:
- Experience with Disk Imaging Software, Active Directory, and Microsoft Windows platforms such as Windows Server 2008/2012/2016, and Windows 7 software.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills and the ability to deal with stressful situations.
- Knowledge of network cable management, network design, and database management are a plus.
To apply for this job title, do NOT use the City of Chicago online application. Follow these five steps:
- Submit to e-mail address firstname.lastname@example.org;
- In the subject line, type in the job title for which you are applying;
- Attach your cover letter for this job title;
- Attach your resume; and
- Attach your transcript.
NOTE: To be considered for this position you must provide all the information listed above. If you fail to provide this information at the time you submit your application, your submission will be incomplete and you will not be considered for an interview. Application materials will only be accepted by e-mail at email@example.com. If there is more than one open position in which you are interested, you may apply for more than one title by submitting an individual e-mail for each title. Repeat instruction steps one through six with each e-mail.
The City of Chicago is an Equal Opportunity and Military Friendly Employer