Applications accepted January 11, 2019 through February 15, 2019.
To apply for this position, complete the application: here
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, Communications, or a directly related field, plus five years of work experience in the development and implementation of public information programs, of which two years are in a supervisory role related to the responsibilities of the position; or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
The City of Chicago Office of Inspector General is seeking a dynamic media relations professional with public relations experience to lead a three-person team as Director of Communications and Outreach. The successful candidate will possess:
- Extensive experience working with news media, preferably in the Chicago area;
- Experience working with community-based and/or non-profit organizations throughout the City of Chicago;
- Experience working in and/or with public sector organizations;
- Familiarity with the City of Chicago government;
- Knowledge of, and demonstrated interest in governmental transparency and accountability including but not limited to criminal and administrative justice, government oversight, including police oversight, and/or civil rights and equity issues;
- Passionate, forward-thinking, public mission-driven leader who is detail-oriented, collaborative and motivational;
- Outstanding ability to collaborate with senior executives and other staff to achieve goals; and
- Demonstrated awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds, and orientations.
DUTIES: The Director of Communications and Outreach will:
- Develop, execute, and assess OIG-wide communications and media outreach strategies, serve as department spokesperson to the news media, and facilitate media interviews for Office personnel;
- Lead OIG’s efforts to engage and develop relationships with community and advocacy groups, City of Chicago residents, the media, and other key stakeholders to advance the mission of the Office;
- Lead the development of strategies to engage stakeholders across the City, which may include educational presentations, identifying opportunities for community meetings, and disseminating OIG reports and recommendations;
- Assist the Inspector General and senior staff with the preparation of external presentations and will also be responsible for producing and updating materials for external stakeholders, including pamphlets, fact sheets, and the OIG website;
- Work with other city department and external government agency communications personnel to ensure coordinated strategies and messaging consistent with the goals of the Office.
ANNUAL SALARY: Up to 104,712
TRAVEL AND SCHEDULE: Travel outside Chicago is not required. Standard work hours are 8:30am-4:30pm, flexibility permitted.
RESIDENCY REQUIREMENT: Employees must be a resident of the City of Chicago and proof of residency is required at the commencement of employment.
OWING OF CITY DEBT: Municipal Code of Chicago 2-152-150 prohibits the hiring of anyone who owes any debt to the City of Chicago.
INSTRUCTIONS: To apply for this job title do NOT use the City of Chicago online application.
Complete, the “Inspector General Employment Application,” by clicking here;
NOTE: APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED BY THE INDIVIDUAL APPLYING. NO SECOND PARTY APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED. THE INSPECTOR GENERAL’S OFFICE REQUIRES THAT ITS EMPLOYEES BE NONPARTISAN AND FREE FROM CONFLICTS OF INTEREST.
THE CITY OF CHICAGO IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY AND MILITARY FRIENDLY EMPLOYER
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. The City of Chicago does not participate in E-Verify (Employment Eligibility Verification System). In addition, employment at the Office of Inspector General is contingent upon a satisfactory criminal background check.