Chicago’s Office of Inspector General (OIG) is a watchdog for the taxpayers of the City of Chicago, and it has jurisdiction to conduct independent inquiries into most aspects of City government. The mission of OIG is to promote economy, effectiveness, efficiency, and integrity in City government by rooting out corruption, waste, and mismanagement. OIG is organized into five operational units, three mission units—Investigations, Audit and Program Review, and Hiring Oversight—and two support units—Legal and Operations.
OIG is seeking an Unpaid Data Analyst Intern to work in its Center for Information Technology and Analytics (CITA). CITA team members work directly with office units to define needs and compile large data sets to provide statistical models, trends, predictions, and analyses that enables investigators to develop cases, performance analysts to conduct citywide program reviews and audits, compliance officers to monitor citywide hiring practices, and managers to make informed business decisions.
This internship offers the experience of developing foundational knowledge of data warehousing and analytics best practices with hands-on experience with tools like Tableau, Pentaho, and SQL. The Data Analyst Intern assignments will vary but includes working closely with team members on data validation, dashboard development, dashboard usability testing, and statistical modeling.
NOTE: APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED BY THE INDIVIDUAL APPLYING. NO SECOND PARTY APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED. THE OFFICE OF INSPECTOR GENERAL REQUIRES THAT ITS EMPLOYEES BE NONPARTISAN AND FREE FROM CONFLICTS OF INTEREST.
ANNUAL SALARY: Unpaid Intern
- Must be a current college senior or graduate student majoring in data analytics, statistics, or mathematics at an accredited four-year college or university.
- Must have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 grading scale or a 4.0 on a 5.0 grading scale.
- Graduate student in good academic standing
Knowledge, Skills, Ability and Experience:
- Experience using programming languages such as R, Python or Penatho.
- Experience using business intelligence visualization tools such as Tableau.
- Ability to work with large data sets.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills with knowledge of technology tools that support this work.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills and the ability to deal with stressful situations.
- Knowledge of data analytics, data base management, summarized data (dashboards, visualizations, trending graphs), statistical modeling and/or workflow analysis.
To apply for this job title, do NOT use the City of Chicago online application. Follow these five steps:
- Submit to e-mail address firstname.lastname@example.org;
- In the subject line, type in the job title for which you are applying;
- Attach your cover letter for this job title;
- Attach your resume; and
- Attach your transcript.
NOTE: To be considered for this position you must provide all the information listed above. If you fail to provide this information at the time you submit your application, your submission will be incomplete and you will not be considered for an interview. Application materials will only be accepted by e-mail at email@example.com. If there is more than one open position in which you are interested, you may apply for more than one title by submitting an individual e-mail for each title. Repeat instruction steps one through six with each e-mail.
THE CITY OF CHICAGO IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY AND MILITARY FRIENDLY EMPLOYER
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. The City of Chicago does not participate in E-Verify (Employment Eligibility Verification System). In addition, employment at the Office of Inspector General is contingent upon a satisfactory criminal background check.