Applications accepted January 7, 2019 through February 4, 2019
To apply for this position, complete the application: here
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:Three years of progressively responsible office administrative experience, preferably to senior executives, or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
Performs confidential general administrative duties with discretion and judgment, and regularly acts with initiative and independence in relieving a senior executive of administrative matters. Performs some administrative financial activities. Must be able to work with little supervision and display high level of professional maturity when dealing with office personnel and other City officials.
- Arranges all administrative aspects of meetings. This includes conference room scheduling, scheduling of necessary tech services, and preparing materials. Manages and maintains executive’s calendar to anticipate needs and determine the information and/or documents which the executive will require. Recognizes demands on executive’s time and arranges schedule, accordingly, including in times of peak activity.
- Accumulates and compiles information from various sources to prepare presentations for an executive.
- Composes correspondence from general instructions or independently in routine matters. Answers inquiries and requests for information, selects and issues form letters and other standard correspondence not requiring the executive’s approval.
- Makes revisions and finalize some documents. Makes appropriate copies of documents and distributes to all addressees. Proofreads documents to ensure accuracy of grammar, punctuation, and spelling. Ensures that all final documents produced are flawless in appearance.
- Regularly performs significant and recurring administrative tasks with a high degree of initiative and independence. Exercises judgment in application of policies and practices in handling matters which do not require personal attention of executive within assigned limits including providing responses to staff inquiries. Maintains front office action log.
- Screens incoming telephone calls take accurate messages and promptly relay them. Arranges telephone and conference calls as requested. Screens visitors.
- Opens, reviews and sorts by importance and category all incoming mail and correspondence for executive. Handles routine matters. Reviews for completeness and clarity correspondence and reports submitted for information, review, or approval.
- Handles confidential matters and materials in a discreet way.
- Monitors emails for actions required.
- Occasionally assists with data entry projects
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Must have demonstrated experience proactively identifying and analyzing problems, generating alternative solutions, and making decisions on choices with minimal or no supervision, preferably related to human relationship management.
- Must be exceedingly well organized, flexible and enjoy the administrative challenges of supporting high level executive.
- Must be able to work well without supervision.
- Must be able to work in a team environment, determine priorities, and assume initiative.
- Must be flexible and able to work in a fast-paced environment handling multiple and changing priorities.
- Must be detail-oriented.
- Must exhibit effective interpersonal skills with an emphasis on customer service.
- Must have strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook).
- Consistently demonstrates high standards of excellence and sound judgment, taking appropriate actions regarding questionable findings or concerns and continually striving to deliver the highest-caliber work.
- Must possess a very high sense of urgency.
- Must be discrete and capable of handling sensitive or confidential matters.
Range: $44,604 – $72,744 (annual increases first three years)
Starting $44,604 (non-negotiable); Post six-month review $46,776
TRAVEL AND SCHEDULE: Travel outside Chicago is not required. Work schedule is between 8:30am-5:00pm M-F.
RESIDENCY REQUIREMENT: Employees must be a resident of the City of Chicago and proof of residency is required at the commencement of employment.
OWING OF CITY DEBT: Municipal Code of Chicago 2-152-150 prohibits the hiring of anyone who owes any debt to the City of Chicago.
INSTRUCTIONS: To apply for this job title do NOT use the City of Chicago online application.
Complete, the “Inspector General Employment Application,” by clicking here;
NOTE: APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED BY THE INDIVIDUAL APPLYING. NO SECOND PARTY APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED. THE INSPECTOR GENERAL’S OFFICE REQUIRES THAT ITS EMPLOYEES BE NONPARTISAN AND FREE FROM CONFLICTS OF INTEREST.
THE CITY OF CHICAGO IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY AND MILITARY FRIENDLY EMPLOYER
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. The City of Chicago does not participate in E-Verify (Employment Eligibility Verification System). In addition, employment at the Office of Inspector General is contingent upon a satisfactory criminal background check.